Enthusiastic, forward-looking, and organized leader and biochemist. Broad research experience in disciplines including gene-editing, transcriptional regulation, cloning, analytical electrochemistry, protein engineering, and nanomaterials. Extensive, well-cited research publications (>1100 citations; h-index 13). Progress-focused, visionary leader with experience leading from several pivotal administrative roles, managing large grant proposals (>$600K), and coordinating project teams (30+ staff). Highly regarded educator; received multiple teaching awards. Strategic, detail-oriented approach, extremely personable, and focused on equity and inclusive team building.
- Organize and lead 35+ direct reports (faculty & staff; $2.5M compensation budget).
- Manage allocation of $300,000 annual budget and instrumentation base ($3M equipment).
- Department size (approximate): 300 majors, 400 minors, and 2000 students enrolled per semester.
- Provide vision and lead biweekly meetings, retreats, and program review workshops.
- Evaluate and mentor 30+ faculty, including mentorship of 9 new faculty.
- Practical, scalable implementation of DNA-based electrochemical biosensors for monitoring pathogenic bacteria and proteins to create medical and research diagnostics for infection and disease.
- Collaborations included CRISPR/Cas9 genome-editing design for precision editing of human iPSCs, mammalian allelic epigenetic methylation analysis, and pathogenic mycobacterial infection diagnosis.
- 20 publications with 1000+ citations and h-index 12; 12 invited presentations.
- Mentored 40+ undergraduate research students (~25% from underrepresented groups): 9 have/are attending PhD programs, 7 have/are attending MD programs.
- Collaborated with multiple institutions, labs, and hospitals, including grant submissions totaling >$800,000.
- Build relationships between administrators and chairs to provide joint leadership and vision.
- Biweekly strategic planning meetings with university President and Provost.
- Spearheaded changes in Faculty Employment contract language to better define role of Chairs.